October 2018

A Tower with a view

Lollard’s Tower at Lambeth Palace is named after the nickname for heretics, who were reputed to have been imprisoned in the atmospheric timber lined cell to the top floor. The imposing Kentish Ragstone tower dates from 1435 and was built by Archbishop Chichele. ...

Read More

A landmark spire is shingled

The fine listed church of St Mary the Virgin at the village of Laverstoke, Hampshire, designed by noted Victorian architect John L Pearson in 1896, had suffered weathering and woodpecker damage to the shingled roof of the landmark spire. The project, recently completed, has...

Read More

Ragtime at the Quarry

As we are well underway with major repairs to the Kentish Ragstone Tower at Lambeth Palace we took the opportunity of accepting an invitation to visit the Gallagher Hermitage quarry at Maidstone. Our morning visit was very informative to see the extraction, processing and...

Read More