The grade II* listed organ holds a special historic value over and above its 1794 provenance as it is directly connected with William Wilberforce, the Clapham Sect and the anti-slavery movement. Its original home, before moving to St John’s in 1845, was Holy Trinity Clapham, the church where Wilberforce and his colleagues developed their political crusade to rid the world of slavery
Heritage Lottery Funding enabled the organ to be fully restored and to receive a contemporary oak, walnut and glass-sided case which will enable it to be used for educational purposes. Two permanent exhibitions have also been created around the organ; one on the history of Notting Hill and the other on the history of the organ.
Published in Choir and Organ magazine January/February 2014; Church Building and Heritage Review September/October 2015.